- "Dalyell had always been very cagey about their existence and origin. Prescott had been kept out of the loop: it had suited him not to know about mutated humans, poisoned humans, but it was a gap he now needed to fill. All he could do when he took office was keep the New Hope facility quarantined and hope he never had to open the lid."
- — Chairman Prescott's knowledge of the Sires.
The Sires were Lambent Humans studied during the early Pendulum Wars. They were the "forefathers" of the Locust and several dozen of them were found at the New Hope Research Facility, controlled by Department of Health under orders from Chairman Monroe. The facility was later shut down by Monroe and the Sires were kept in stasis until they were discovered by Marcus Fenix and Dom Santiago during a recon of the area. All information on them is classified, passed down from Chairman to Chairman, and rarely investigated.
- "What the hell are these things?!"
"Sires, of course. Didn't you read the abstract before your arrival?"
- — Pvt. Dominic Santiago upon discovering the Sires, with the AI Niles Samson explaining their identity
The Sires were the first known examples of human mutation as a result of imulsion exposure, almost a century before Formers appeared in Mercy and Char. Their children were also studied at the Facility; born with imulsion based birth defects, these children were mutated on a genetic level from birth.
Sires predated the Drones (who were more advanced than the former) and had nothing in common with their biological descendants. Also, while the Drones of the Horde were organized, the Sires were truly savage.
Creation of New HopeEdit
During the early years of the Pendulum Wars, the Coalition of Ordered Governments ordered the opening of the New Hope Research Facility under the junction of the Department of Health. The facility was opened under the name of Jameson Depot with the purpose of researching the mutagenic and teratogenic effects of imulsion on those who worked in depth with the substance. Dr. Niles Samson along with Dr. Stephanie Zimmer, Dr. Doug Sato, and Sven worked in the facility. Niles believed that the Sires represented "a genetic bridge to our future" and hoped they presented themselves as a "survival advantage" against the mutagenic effects of imulsion, an idea Chairman Richard Prescott also entertained years later. After internal information was leaked from someone in New Hope regarding the "children" housed there, the media began questioning the Department of Health, which led to the downfall of the Facility.
After several staff members were attacked by the "children" and the information leak, the COG grew fearful of the reaction of imulsion companies and the health scares that could follow should the truth of imulsion mutation ever become public. To prevent this, Chairman Monroe ordered New Hope to shut down and the "children" moved by foot to Mount Kadar. Niles created an AI in his image and left him to look after the Sires who were left dormant in their stasis tanks.
Arrival of Delta-OneEdit
- Main article: Mission to New Hope Research Facility
- "Those are irreplaceable specimens… …a genetic bridge to our future."
- — AI Niles Samson explaining the Sires' purpose.
14 years after E-Day, on the second day of Frost during Operation: Hollow Storm, CIC ordered Delta-One to investigate New Hope. After gaining accesses to the "abandoned" outpost, Delta discovered Wretches and later the Sires still inside their tanks. While investigating the location of the Locust stronghold the Sires' stasis tanks were accidentally activated, and one after another the Sires fell upon Dom Santiago and Marcus Fenix. The two Gears were able to get past the Sires and shutdown the security systems in New Hope. Any Sires that survived were presumably wiped out by the Imulsion Countermeasure Weapon when it was detonated.
The encounter with the Sires led to another "disagreement" with Chief of the COG Defense Staff, Col.Hoffman and Chairman Richard Prescott, on how Prescott kept secrets from Hoffman about the Sires and New Hope.
Behind the ScenesEdit
- The Sires had been compared to the real world Neanderthals.
- The Sires make their only appearance in Gears of War 2 and are mentioned in Jacinto's Remnant, Coalition's End and The Slab
- ↑ Gears of War: The Slab - Page 192
- ↑ Gears of War: The Slab
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Sire2.jpg
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Gears of War: The Slab pg 139-141
- ↑ Gears of War 2 Act 3: Gathering Storm: Rude Awakening
- ↑ Gears of War: The Slab - Page 193
- ↑ Gears of War 2 Act 3: Gathering Storm: Origins - Interoffice Memo collectible
- ↑ Gears of War: The Slab - Page 200
- ↑ Gears of War: Jacinto's Remnant