- "They say you don't feel it when a One-Shot hits you."
- — Garron Paduk
The One-Shot, or OneShot, was a lever action, heavy-class, recoilless sniper rifle manufactured by the Coalition of Ordered Governments. It was known for its prominent laser sight, massive stopping power, and armor-piercing capability.
The One-Shot was designed and manufactured by the COG. However, like most other COG weapons, it soon fell into the hands of the Locust.
The One-Shot is electrically charged, fires 20mm rounds and feeds from an 8 round internal magazine. It is cycled manually by cranking the lever on the side of the weapon.
One round from this gun is enough to make a target explode in a cloud of blood and gore. This makes it a highly effective weapon against larger Locust units, such as Maulers and their Boom Shields, Gunkers and Reavers. They can even penetrate the armor of an Armored Kantus.
Despite its amazing firepower, the One-Shot's long reload time, charge time while aiming and the visible laser while aiming gives its victims the window of opportunity to return fire and injure, or even kill the operator.
For these consequences does it balance with the tremendous stopping-power it has against armor; truely giving homage to its name.
Destruction of Halvo BayEdit
While trying to enter the Museum of Military Glory, Kilo Squad came under attack by One-Shot-equipped Locust, firing from the main balcony of the Museum. After they had dealt with the Locust, they turned the weapons against waves of Locust.
At Seahorse Hills, several Locust Mortar teams were guarded by Locust with One-Shots. Kilo had to take them out first before attacking the Mortar teams.
More Locust also used One-Shots inside Kurt Elliott's mansion as well as Onyx Point, where several Locust, armed with One-Shots, tried to stop the Gears from leaving the facility. Finally, a few more One-Shot-packing Locust attempted to stop the squad from deploying the Lightmass Missile against General Karn.
Evacuation of IlimaEdit
- "The One-Shot weapon is in play, General. Tread carefully."
- — Myrrah to General RAAM at the Battle of Ilima
During the Evacuation of Ilima, General RAAM led an assault on key areas of the city where Seeders could be summoned, to help blacken the skies for the Kryll. However, while heading for the second location, RAAM and his unit came under fire from a unit of Gears in a small courtyard, including one using a One-Shot. In response, RAAM used his power over the Kryll to kill him, and the rest of the unit.
Mission to HanoverEdit
When Augustus Cole and his team began crossing the Centennial Bridge to assist the CNV Sovereign, which was under attack by a Lambent Leviathan, they found out about the Savage Locust mini fortress on the bridge. They came under fire from their main barricade from Locust Snipers armed with the weapon. However, it was Samantha Byrne's Longshot that caused their swift execution.
As they made their way to the end of the bridge to tip Tickers on to the Leviathan, they were confronted by a small Locust force in a last ditch attempt to kill Cole and his team. During the fight, a One-Shot armed Sniper was taken out by Clayton Carmine after he took over a Multi-Turret and blew up a nearby Gas tanker next to the Sniper's position.
Battle of the DeadlandsEdit
When Delta-One infiltrated the Savage Locust Stronghold in the Deadlands, they were fired at by One-Shot armed lookouts in the Guard Towers. They were quickly dealt with when Marcus returned fire with a One-Shot he found on the ground in front of the Fortress.
Battle of Anvil GateEdit
- "Mauler Maleks inbound! Use your One-Shots, target their shields!"
- — Bernadette Mataki during the defense of Anvil Gate
Marcus and Dom later used them during the Locust's siege of Anvil Gate to help defend the front wall area by taking down Reavers, advancing lines of Drones and Grinders before the Locust brought up a Siegebeast to knock down the front gate, letting the Grubs into the Courtyard. As Maulers started entering through the gate, Marcus picked up another One-Shot and destroyed all of them, the One-Shot's armor-piercing round having punched straight through their Boom Shields.
When Delta had started moving the repaired CNV Adamant, they trekked through the dry dock area, fighting past the Queen's Guards until they came across a huge force of heavy Locust, including Boomers, Grinders, Kantus, Shriekers and Reavers. While the rest of Delta held off the Kantus and Shriekers, Marcus used the One-Shot to obliterate the Boomers, Grinders and one of the Reavers.
Second Battle of AzuraEdit
After taking the service ladder from the Maintenance/Storage area, Delta were attacked by a group of Guards and Reavers. Marcus retrieved a One-Shot from a nearby service bay and used it to kill the attacking Locust.
Later, in Pinnacle Tower, whilst fighting to get to Adam Fenix’s room, Delta moved along the corridor leading to it. Along the way, Marcus took a One-Shot from another room and used it to kill a Grinder and the accompanying Locust Guards.
Despite its monumental stopping power, the One-Shot is somewhat limited in it being able to penetrate up to 5 targets per shot.
In most scenarios, however, this isn't much of an influence during online gameplay as the average player faces up to 5 opponents, whilst wielding one.
As well as being a destructive weapon, the One-Shot can also be used as a psychological weapon by using its laser to force enemies to stay in cover or to discourage opponents from entering areas of denial. It can also be used for protecting the Hill in King of the Hill, downing the Leader in Capture the Leader and eliminating high-value targets and objective-carriers.
For its execution, the wielder straddles the victim, raises the One-Shot high above them, and crashes the bottom of the weapon down on their skull, crushing and decapitating them.
- It costs 900 points in Horde Mode.
- It is recommended you buy this on later rounds of Horde so you can make your money back and more.
- During Beast Mode some of the COG members (mostly Onyx Guards) will use these weapons against you.
- The One-Shot Execution is unlocked after you get 40 kills with it. It involves kicking the downed enemy over and then bringing the butt of the Weapon down on his or her head, crushing it. The execution is also available in Single player.
Behind the scenesEdit
- The symbol of the One-Shot is an elephant. This is a reference to Epic Games jokingly calling the weapon an "elephant gun".
- The last two One-Shots in Azura are hard to find. The first one is located in a Service area. After taking the ladder up from the Maintenance/Storage area, take a right and head to a metal shutter. Shoot the electrical box on its left and it will open. Inside will be a One-Shot and a Mulcher. The other is located in the first room you come too while trying to get to Adam Fenix. It is hidden behind a small sofa next to an Ammo box.
- ↑ Gears of War - Official Site
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 http://www.gameinformer.com/games/gears_of_war_3/m/gears_of_war_3_media/344839.aspx
- ↑ Gears of War 3: Act III: Unbreakable