- This article refers to the Hammerburst of Gears of War. For the Hammerburst in Gears of War 2, Gears of War 3 and Gears of War: Judgment see Hammerburst II.
Regarded as the Locust counterpart to the COG Lancer Assault Rifle, the Hammerburst has a 6-round burst fire mode and a 78-round magazine. The Hammerburst features a relatively short barrel and compact size, and excels in medium to long-range combat.
However, the Hammerburst is not as effective in short-range combat. The 6-round burst fire mode, in comparison to the fully automatic fire mode of the Lancer Assault Rifle, deals significantly less damage in short-range combat. However, at safer, longer ranges, the Hammerburst exceeds the Lancer in terms of stopping power or accuracy. Not only does it have a larger magazine, but the accuracy is phenomenal and the power is incredible.
Currently, the Hammerburst has largely been replaced by the new Hammerburst model, the Hammerburst II. Prior to this, the Hammerburst was used extensively by the Locust. Drones were commonly deployed with the Hammerburst into battle. Ironically, Gears frequently use it due to its great accuracy and damage, an example being Damon Baird.
Some players dislike the Hammerburst due to its uselessness in CQC encounters (i.e. no Chainsaw Bayonet); however, this rifle was not designed for such encounters when in use by Gears. However, many firefights occur at ranges where Lancer users find themselves wasting unnecessary ammo without even seriously injuring enemies. The Hammerburst has incredible precision and zero recoil next to the Lancer. In addition, only two or three full bursts from the Hammerburst will kill a Drone on Hardcore, and on Casual, a mere one may be necessary. Beyond that, the Hammerburst, even with only half a burst impacting, can screw up a great shot like no other gun of its class (in otherwords, the Lancer).
That being said, the Hammerburst is pretty much only an ideal weapon at medium ranges; the Lancer, Longshot, and Gnasher Shotgun all respectively trounce it in sheer lead output (close), ranged accuracy (300+ feet), and raw, crude stopping power (up close and personal). Veterans frequently use a Lancer/Hammerburst or Hammerburst/Gnasher combo. Either combo makes up for each weapon's weaknesses; the combo of medium/short ranged firepower is usually enough for most situations (such as the infamous fountain brawl, where Locust attack from all sides). When the going gets bad for either gun, the other weapon saves the day (or the next five minutes, depending on the scale of the fight).
Behind the ScenesEdit
- In Gears of War, on Hardcore, 4 to 6 bursts will kill a Drone, while a complete magazine of Lancer bullets may sometimes fail to kill one.
- In the real world, this weapon would be very hard to use because of the lack of iron sights, however, the Gears of War: Judgement version of this weapon corrects that with a simple blade sight at the front.
- The weapon is completely absent in Gears of War 2, Gears of War 3, and RAAM's Shadow, however, if you pre-ordered Gears of War: Judgment from participating retailers you get the "Classic Hammerburst", to be used in multiplayer.
- In Gears of War: Judgment the Classic Hammerbust's model is the same as the Hammerburst II's just with a couple of the parts removed/added, such as the Iron Sight, the semi-circle part at the front, extended barrel and the fore end has been slightly enlarged.
| Weapons of Gears of War|
|COG||Mk 1 Lancer Assault Rifle · Mk 2 Lancer Assault Rifle · Gnasher Shotgun · Longshot Sniper Rifle · Snub Pistol · Bolo Grenade · Smoke Grenade · Hammer of Dawn · Chain Gun · Mortar · Longspear · One-Shot · Sawed-Off Shotgun · Incendiary Grenade · Molotov Cocktail · Rocket Launcher · Machete|
|Locust Horde||Hammerburst Assault Rifle · Hammerburst II · Boltok Pistol · Boomshot Grenade Launcher · Torque Bow · Troika Heavy Machine Gun · Gorgon Burst Pistol · Ink Grenade · Boom Shield · Mulcher · Scorcher · Digger Launcher · Butcher Cleaver|