- "They think we're paranoid. They wonder why we still keep them at arm's length. Five centuries ago, we won and lost an empire of four hundred million citizens. During the Pendulum Wars, Gorasnaya's population fell from twenty million to ten. After E-Day, it was two million. After the COG deployed the Hammer of Dawn, we were reduced to fifty thousand. Now, after the Stranded massacres and the famines and the disease and the cold, there are only four thousand of us. And they wonder why we always have an eye on the exit."
- — Commander Miran Trescu, on the cultural gulf between Gorasni and the COG, 15 A.E
The Republic of Gorasnaya was a small Union of Independent Republics nation that never surrendered during the Pendulum Wars. In the short weeks of peace between the Pendulum Wars and the Locust War, it was a minor threat to the COG, although only mustering up guerrillas. In the Lesser Island chains the republic had a protectorate in the area in order to drill for Imulsion. During the Locust-Human war, the mainland of Gorasnaya was overrun by the Locust Horde and around four thousands citizens of the republic settled in the Lesser Islands and dealt with Stranded pirates. In 15 A.E., the remnant of the Coalition arrived in the islands years later, and Gorasnaya freely joined them in exchange for a safe refuge.
The remnants of the Republic was led by Miran Trescu, who was the highest ranking survivor of the Republic's Government and Armed Forces. De jure command over the Gorasni troops and naval vessels was handed over to Chairman Richard Prescott and Col.Victor Hoffman when Gorasnaya joined the COG, but Trescu held de facto command and authority over the Gorasni troops, navy, and citizens.
The inhabitants of Gorasnaya spoke Gorasni.
Silver Era historyEdit
- Main article: Gorasni Empire
Five centuries before the Locust War, the Gorasni empire was forged from war and conquest and had over four hundred million citizens while the Tyrans were using manure to build walls. The Empire was later lost.
Pendulum Wars and refusing to surrenderEdit
Gorasnaya was a member state of the UIR. During the 79 year long war, Gorasni troops fought on the eastern front. The Gorasni were one of the most hated Indie nations due to their infamous human rights records on captured Gears, forcing them into labor camps. During the Pendulum wars, Gorasnaya had control of a small Imulsion-rich nation in the Lesser Islands chain. After the Pendulum Wars ended, Gorasnaya refused to surrender to the COG and continued a guerrilla war until E-Day.
The Gorasni mainland was overrun by the Locust Horde. Paduk and his forces fought bravely against the Locust, but were overwhelmed by General Karn's effective leadership. The battle left the majority of the population dead, only having around 4000 citizens left and small navy of 6 patrol boats, one submarine, and one missile frigate. The Gorasni were in a war with the sea base Stranded, a notorious section of Stranded that were looters and rapists. Gorasni would fight the Stranded alone until the COG retreated to the Lesser Islands and giving the UIR nation a chance of unification, exchange for food and shelter for the Imulsion that the Gorasni held.
Unification with the COGEdit
In Brume the UIR nation formally joined the COG at Vectes. Dropping off several hundred civilians and Indie soldiers, the Gorasni quickly setup a refugee camp and had their soldiers defend the camp. When the Stranded launched an attack on all major targets on Vectes, several Gorasni were killed. Chairman Prescott allowed Trescu to torture the captured Stranded. As he was asking how Gorasnin ships were being sunk and how the Stranded was being resupplied, Trescu did not get the answers he sought so he ended up shooting a Stranded in the head.
Break with the COGEdit
During the Lambent Pandemic, the COG and Gorasni were forced to abandon Vectes due to repeated Lambent attack and contamination of the land. Unable to stay together, the COG was forced to disband and the Gorasni decided to go their own way and return to their homeland and were given the CNV Timgad which was renamed the Generale Egar Trescu. However, Commander Miran Trescu, the Gorasni leader, promised to remember the COG's kindness towards them, saying that while his people remember their grudges, they also remember kindness.
End of the WarsEdit
Before the Second Battle of Azura, Augustus Cole and Damon Baird were sent to find reinforcements to defeat the Locust forces on the island of Azura and when the Maelstrom was deactivated, they showed up with Gorasni men led by Trescu in one of the Gorasni ships. The Gorasni lent their aid to Delta Squad on the island, leading to victory and the destruction of the Lambent and the Locust by Adam Fenix's weapon.
Human rights recordEdit
- "The Survivors of Ramascu. "We will never forget". "We will never forgive"."
- — A card left on a memorial to the veterens of the Pendulum Wars
The Gorasni were known violators of human rights during the Pendulum wars, captured Gears from the eastern front were sent to force labor camps which many of them died in including Ramascu, giving them an infamous reputation for torture. During the Stranded Insurgency, Miran Trescu interrogated three stranded and killed one with a bullet to the head.
Behind the ScenesEdit
- ↑ Gears of War: Coalition's End pg 67
- ↑ Gears of War: Jacinto's Remnant pg 375
- ↑ Gears of War: Jacinto's Remnant pg 383
- ↑ Gears of War: Jacinto's Remnant 383
- ↑ Gears of War: Anvil Gate
- ↑ Gears of War: Coalition's End pg 172
- ↑ Gears of War: Coalition's End chapter 5
- ↑ Gears of War:Anvil Gate
- ↑ Gears of War:Jacinto's Remnant
- ↑ Gears of War:Jacinto’s Remnant
- ↑ Gears of War: Anvil Gate
- ↑ https://twitter.com/karentraviss/status/137134094571143168
- ↑ https://twitter.com/karentraviss/status/137136835339108352