The Gnasher Shotgun was a short-barreled, lever-action military shotgun that was commonly deployed by the Coalition of Ordered Governments' Gears. It was relatively small and easy to aim, making it exceptionally useful for close quarters combat, and was a reliable and rugged weapon.
As a shotgun, the Gnasher fired 12-gauge buckshot rounds, with nine pellets per shell - this resulted in a spray of shot over a cone-shaped trajectory; because of this, the Gnasher was not particularly difficult to aim and was often capable of taking down man-sized targets in a single shot. The Gnasher also has a long, lethal range for a shotgun, capable of inflicting (albeit minimal) harm to targets up to 8 meters away, but the shot will go further.
Despite its origins in the COG, the Gnasher, like most weapons, eventually found itself in the hands of the Locust Horde, specifically the Grenadier class of Drone; they often used the Gnasher to lethal effect against the shotgun's former masters.
Labelled a CQC weapon, the Gnasher can also kill at a fair distance. When not performing a headshot, or point-blank shot, the Gnasher will down an enemy at close-range with two or three shots. When headshotting an opponent, you normally don't need to aim, but you need to be within a good distance to do so. When you headshot the opponent, their head will explode regardless of your distance.
Behind the ScenesEdit
- It was ranked Number 2 on Gears of War's "Top 5 Weapons" 
- When a player reloads the shotgun, the character spin-cocks the lever.
- Also, regardless of how many shells have been fired, the player will always reload 3 shells at a time.
- The blast animation and noise, as well as the cocking-sound of the lever between shots changed from Gears 1 and Gears 2. In Gears 1, the Gnasher Shotgun had a louder, more devastating type of blast that did not show smoke-like trajections of where the ammunition had sprayed, and the lever had a crisp and more gun-like mechanic sound. In Gears 2, you can see the shots fly out of the gun, the gunfire sounds heavier, and the lever has a more clunky sound between each shot.
- Having the Veteran Gear achievement from Gears of War 2 unlocks a golden weapon skin for the Gnasher in Gears of War 3.
- In the Gears of War 3 campaign, Act 4 Chapter 1, two Stranded can be seen armed with Gnashers, and one asking the other to show him the "two piece" again. The two piece is a popular technique used by players online where they first melee an enemy with the Gnasher and then shoot them for an easy kill.
- As of January 2012, the Gnasher Shotgun is the most used weapon in Gears of War 3, according to epicgames.com.
- It is one of the few weapons that could be fitted into the Savage Locust's Multi-Turret, along with the Mk 1 Lancer Assault Rifle and Boomshot Grenade Launcher.
- The Gnasher experiences a size difference between Gears of War 2 and Gears of War 3; in Gears 2, the weapon extends down to the character's thighs, however in Gears 3, the Gnasher barely reaches the character's waist.
- ↑ Gears of War 3 Gnasher Certificate
- ↑ http://www.gamersleak.com/2011/08/veteran-gear-unlocks-for-gears-of-war-3/
|The Weapons and Equipment of Gears of War|
Auto-Turret · Beacon Grenade · Bolo Grenade · Booshka Grenade Launcher · Brader · Chain Gun · Chainsaw Bayonet · Fire Extinguisher · Flechette Guns · Gas Mask · Gnasher Shotgun · Gut-Puncher · GZ18 Markza Sniper Rifle · Hammer of Dawn · Imulsion Countermeasure Weapon · Incendiary Grenade · Lightmass Bomb · Lightmass Missile · Longshot Sniper Rifle · Longspear Rocket Launcher · Machete · Mark 1 Lancer Assault Rifle · Mark 2 Lancer Assault Rifle · Molotov Cocktail · Mortar · Mulcher · Musket · MX8 Snub Pistol · One-Shot · Police Lancer Assault Rifle · Rocket Launcher · Sawed-Off Shotgun · Scorcher Flamethrower · Silverback · Smoke Grenade · Stim-Gas Grenade · Stomper · Tripwire Crossbow · Ultra-Violet Turret · Vulcan Gatling Gun
Boltok Pistol · Boom Shield · Boomshot Grenade Launcher · Breechshot · Butcher Cleaver · Digger Launcher · Dual Chainsaw Staff · Elite Sawed-Off Shotgun · Gorgon Submachine Gun · Hammerburst Assault Rifle · Hammerburst II · Ink Grenade · Kryll Grenade · Multi-Turret · Nemacyst · Thumper · Torque Bow · Troika Heavy Machine Gun