- "You Nincompoops. Look at this place. You've burned half the neighborhood, and we've got Locust and Kryll flying up our asses, all thanks to you!"
- — Chaps, berating Marcus and Dom after they arrive at his Chaps' Gas Station
Chaps was an elderly Stranded man who lived in Ephyra for most of the Locust War. Although not much is known about him before the war, he owned and operated his own gas station up until its destruction during the events of the Lightmass Offensive. He eventually took charge of a Stranded Underground camp that was discovered by the Delta Squad when they went under Mount Kadar.
- "Next time I'll stay at the exploding Gas Station...."
- — Chaps, when Marcus and Dom have barely got him to the settlement alive
Chaps owned and operated Chaps' Gas Station, the location of the Junker Laverne, and was affiliated with Franklin's Outpost. During the Lightmass Offensive in 14 A.E., Chaps was contacted by Franklin Tsoko and told to fill up Laverne with gas, and allow Sgt.Marcus Fenix and Pvt.Dominic Santiago to take the vehicle. However, he did not think they would make it, and did not fill it up. When they did arrive, he became angry at them for stirring up the Locust. He told them to start filling up the vehicle, and let them stock up on weaponry and ammo from his station in the back before they were ambushed by the Locust. He helped defend the station from the Locust attack, and left with Marcus and Dom in Laverne, but his station was blown up. As they drove to Franklin's Outpost, Chaps become a back-seat driver, instructing Marcus and Dom on where to go and from where the Kryll were attacking. After they arrived and found the Outpost under attack, Chaps recommended to the Gears that they help out, and began walking away while drinking a beer.
- "Oh, pretty! Um, something about her face does seem familiar. Maybe she was, with one of the other groups that came down before, Stu's group I think. Ah, but Stu and them got captured."
- — Chaps, telling Dom about Maria
Six months later, Chaps moved underneath Mount Kadar with a small group of other Stranded, because Franklin's Outpost was overrun and rest of the surface became too dangerous. When Delta-One arrived at the camp, they were surprised to find Chaps and his group there. Marcus asked him what he was doing down in the Hollow, and he explained that the surface wasn't safe. They asked him why he thought the Hollow was, but he told them that nowhere was safe anymore. He gave them information that helped Delta Squad finally find the Locust stronghold of Nexus, and how to reach it from where his camp was. This lead to a massive attack on Nexus by the COG. Before Marcus and Dom set off towards Nexus, Dom showed him a picture of his wife, Maria Santiago, and asked if had seen her. Chaps recognized her as one of Stus group of Stranded, but told him that they had gotten captured by the Locust and gave them directions to her likely location. When Dom thanked him, Chaps didn't see what good it could do them as he believed that only Locusts could get there. He was taken to the surface by Cpl.Damon Baird and Pvt.Augustus Cole, along with the other Stranded in his party, via the squad's Centaur. Thanks to the information Chaps gave him, Dom finally found his wife, but was forced to euthanize her due to severe tortue the Locust had inflicted on her.
Personality and TraitsEdit
Chaps was a typical Stranded, and blamed Marcus and Dom for the surge of Locust activity in Ephyra when they transverse the streets. He was bitter and paranoid of the COG, and was bossy as he back-seat drove Laverne when traveling through the streets of Ephyra. He was bold and daring when forced to fight, as seen when the Locust attacked Aspho Gas Station. However, Chaps preferred choice is to try to survive by hiding from the Locust rather take them on like the COG.
Despite hiding from them, Chaps is well-informed on the Locust and their activities, aware of the existence and location of Nexus which the COG were merley aware existed and didn't know its name. Chaps was also aware of how dangerous the underground lake was and the location of the Locust work-camps despite telling Delta that he never goes near there as its too dangerous.
- "You can kiss my wrinkly old ass!"
- — Chaps
- "Wait, this doesn't mean we have to fight in your army now does it?!"
- — Chaps, suspicious of Delta Squad's rescue.
- "What, do you got wax in your ears?"
- — Chaps ,When they find him in Mount Kadar.
- "Well, after you jackasses blew up my station and Franklin's Outpost got overrun, The surface wasn't safe no more."
- — Chaps to Dom after being asked why he thought it was safer in the Hollow.
- "I don't know what good it does you. Only way your getting in there is if you're a Locust!"
- — Chaps to Dom after being thanked for information on the Locust prison camp where Maria is
Behind the ScenesEdit
- Chaps is also a meatflag for the multiplayer gametype Submission in Gears of War 2, though he wields a Shotgun like every other meatflag.
- Chaps is voiced by Robin Atkin Downes.
- In the deleted chapter Road to Ruin, Marcus comes with an idea to clad in Theron Guard armor to pass the Locust fortress undetected, much likely taking Chaps advice of being Locust much literally.