The Armored Kantus or Kantus Knights were an elite, armored class of Kantus priest. They were first seen roughly 18 months after the sinking of Jacinto. Clad in onyx armor and dual-wielding Gorgon SMGs, the Armored Kantus were a force to be reckoned with.
The Armored Kantus wore black colored, razor-sharp spiked armor; this armor made them highly resistant to bullet-based weaponry and allowed them to do offensive-based rolls which could slice and tear a downed enemy apart. This serves as an Execution, and like normal Kantus, Armored Kantus could heal nearby Locust.While their armor made them powerful opponents, the Armored Kantus were not invincible. The armor could only withstand so many bullets and only offered mild protection against explosive-based weaponry. As stated above, Armored Kantus had the healing abilities of normal Kantus, which left them vulnerable during healing. Armored Kantus are affiliated wit-h the Queen, and not the Savage Locust, though in Halvo Bay three were seen with Savage Therons.
When Damon Baird, Augustus Cole, Clayton Carmine and Garron Paduk try to take down the Regency Hotel in Halvo Bay to get a ship to reach Azura, an Armored Kantus attacks them in the kitchens of a restaurant that is part of the hotel where they plan to open the gas valves and blow up the gas to collapse the hotel to release the ship back into the ocean. The group kills it, but as the valves are opened, two more Armored Kantus attack with Savage Therons and Ragers. The Armored Kantus and their escorts are killed and the hotel is collapsed.
Journey to Azura
Several Armored Kantus were given orders from Queen Myrrah herself to travel to Endeavor Dockyard and stop Delta Squad from leaving in a submarine for Azura. However, even though their armor stopped most conventional weapons, they were eventually killed by explosive weapons.
An Armored Kantus, along with several Shriekers and Queen's Guard, were deployed at the entrance to the Maelstrom Facility in an attempt to stop Delta Squad from shutting down the Maelstrom Generator. However, their attempt failed, and Delta entered the facility.
After shutting down the generators failed to stop it, Adam Fenix suggested closing the Maelstrom coolant valves. Several more Armored Kantus were deployed to prevent Delta Squad from shutting down the Maelstrom. However, Delta prevailed once again, closing the coolant valves and disabling the Maelstrom once and for all.
Armored Kantus are formidable foes, to be sure. The final fight in Act IV can be infuriating on Insane. However, there are a few strategies that can make defeating the Armored Kantus much easier.
- If a grenade or other explosive weapon detonates near them, they will be knocked down momentarily. When they get back up, they will scream, opening their vulnerable mouth and giving you about 5 seconds to attack them with whatever weapon you please. A frag grenade stick will kill them instantly, and you have plenty of time to stick them and get out of the blast radius.
- If you are EXTREMELY patient, and have plenty of ammo, you can stick back and unload fully automatic weapons into them until they drop. However, this is NOT recommended, as you are likely to run out of ammo before they reach your position.
- Like a regular Kantus, when a Locust troop is downed, they will heal them, opening their unarmores mouth and giving you a 5-second window to attack. Like the above strategy, a grenade stick will kill them instantly. If you have no grenades or explosive weapons, you can continually down troops and shoot them in the mouth. However, this takes a bit of patience.
Behind the Scenes
- The Armored Kantus made its first appearance in the Beast Mode demo at E3 2010. In the demo, the Armored Kantus can be seen dual-wielding Boltok pistols and Gorgon SMGs. In the final game, Epic removed the Boltok from the Armored Kantus' equipment.
- Armored Kantus have the surprising ability to withstand a small to medium sized blast from a focused Hammer of Dawn, although they will still be injured slightly and knocked down similar to when they are hit by other explosive weaponry. This is possible to see on the sixth chapter of Act IV, where the player has access to a Hammer and can bring it into the first encounter with Armored Kantus. Though the Hammer of Dawn will only injure it, the One-Shot will kill it. However, in Horde 2.0, a direct Hammer of Dawn blast from the H.O.D command center will kill it instantly.
- ↑ Gears of War: Dirty Little Secrets Part Six (No Hiding Place) (Page 15)
- ↑ YoutubeVideo
- ↑ Gears of War 3
|Locust Horde (Queen's Guard, Savage Locust)|
|Berserker · Boomer (Butcher, Flame Boomer, Grinder, Mauler, Mauler Elite, Savage Boomer, Tremor) · Drone (Beast Rider, Bolter, Cyclops, Flame Grenadier, Grappler, Grenadier, Grenadier Elite, Gunner, Hunter, Hunter Elite, Miner, Palace Guard, Sniper, Spotter, Theron Elite, Theron Guard , Theron Sentinel, Savage Drone, Savage Grenadier, Savage Grenadier Elite, Savage Hunter, Savage Marauder, Savage Theron) · Kantus (Armored Kantus, Savage Kantus) · Rager|
|Bloodmount · Brumak · Corpser · Digger · Gas Barge · Heart Leech · Hydra · Kryll · Leviathan · Mangler · Nemacyst · Reaver · Riftworm · Rock Worm · Seeder · Serapede · Shibboleth · Shrieker · Siegebeast · Tempest · Ticker · Torture Barge · Wretch|
|Imulsion · Lambent Berserker · Lambent Brumak · Lambent Drone · Lambent Drudge · Lambent Gunker · Lambent Leviathan · Lambent Polyp · Lambent Stalk · Lambent Wretch|